Welcome to San Ramon
Today San Ramon is a dynamic young city, one of California’s outstanding urban villages. It has a variety of homes, parks and stores and a major employment center, all in a setting of remarkable beauty.
It was once home to the Seunen Indians, Ohlone/Costanoans whol lived adjacent to the valley creeks. After 1797 it was Mission San Jose grazing land; later it included Jose Maria Amador’s 16,000 plus acres Rancho San Ramon.
American settlers first came to San Ramon in 1850 when Leo and Mary Jane Norris purchased 4,450 acres of land from Amador. Other early landowners were William Lynch, James Dougherty, and Major Samuel Russell. In 1852 Joel and Minerva Harlan bought land from Norris and built a house on what became the Alameda-Contra Costa County line in 1853.
San Ramon had several names in the nineteenth century. It was called Brevensville (for Blacksmith Eli Breven), Lynchville (for William Lunch) and Limerick (for the many Irish Settlers). The first village developed at the intersection of today’s Deerfield Road and San Ramon Valley Blvd. In 1873 when a permanent post office was finally established, it was called San Ramon.
During the 1860’s the village became a hub of community activity. In 1864 a stage line established by Brown & Co. ran from San Ramon through the valley to Oakland. A church was dedicated in 1860, the general store was built in 1863 and students left their home-based classrooms to attend the San Ramon Grammar School beginning in 1867. Saloons, a jail, Chinese wash houses and blacksmith shops lined County Road No. 2 (later San Ramon Valley Blvd.).
In 1895 attorney Thomas Bishop Acquired 3,000 acres of Norris land (after a divorce case in which Bishop’s law firm represented Margaret Norris). The Bishop Ranch raised cattle and sheep and was planted with hay, grain, diversified fruit crops and walnuts. Bishop’s Shropshire purebred sheep earned numerous awards. The Ranch was partially irrigated from an underground aquifer and at one point possessed the world’s largest single orchard of Bartlett Pears.
The San Ramon Community Hall became the community’s center early in 1911, drawing farm and ranch families to dances, school programs and plays. It was still standing in 1960. Residents belonged to several community groups over the years,
including the Danville Grange No. 85, Odd Fellows, SRV Farm Bureau Women, Rebeccas, Romana Club, and Mother’s Club.
Modern San Ramon
As with the entire Tri-Valley, agriculture was the basis for San Ramon economy until suburban development began. In 1966 the new Interstate 680 freeway was completed through San Ramon to Dublin. For years a sign “San Ramon Population 100”
accurately reflected the number of people in the area, with the whole San Ramon Valley having just over 2000 people for many decades.
In 1970 Western Electric purchased 1,733 acres of the Bishop Ranch and proposed a “new town” complete with a variety of housing, green belts, stores and light industry, placed in the center of San Ramon. Eventually park of the land became new homes and, in 1978, 858 acres became today’s Bishop Ranch Business Park, a premier modern office development.
In 1983 San Ramon voters decided overwhelmingly to incorporate as a separate city and took control over development, police, parks and other services. A new library, community center, parks and hospital testify to the energy which the new city displayed. No longer a quiet outskirt of the Bay Area, San Ramon looks to the future and values its past.
Excerpt of article written by Beverly Lane with thanks to Thelma Smith, Virgie V. Jones. Bill Fereira and
Roxanne Wiedemann Lindsay. Underwritten by the City of San Ramon
San Ramon Properties
Bay East ©2021. CCAR ©2021. EBRD ©2021.
Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. This information is being provided by the Bay East MLS, or CCAR MLS, or bridgeMLS. The listings presented here may or may not be listed by the Broker/Agent operating this website. This information is intended for the personal use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Data last updated at Sep 23, 2021 2:43:pm.